Man served beer contaminated with caustic line cleaner hospitalised, July 19th 2014
A man was left with serious internal injuries after he was served beer believed to contain caustic soda introduced via the line cleaning system. This could not have happened if the bar used Britelines™ beer line cleaner.
David Caminal, from Spain, was immediately taken ill after drinking a beer served to him at the New Conservatory in Leeds city centre on July 19, as reported in the Yorkshire Evening Post.
It is understood that cleaning of the bar’s systems was taking place when a strong cleaning fluid, believed to be caustic soda, was inadvertently served to Mr Caminal in a beer.Caustic soda is a highly corrosive substance typically used to unblock drains, dissolve grease and oils and strip paint from walls.
After drinking the beer the 47-year-old spent several days in intensive care and three weeks in hospital, before being flown back to his home city of Barcelona where he remains in hospital.The TV producer had been in Leeds to shoot a new commercial at the time of the incident.
The extent of his injuries is not yet clear, however lawyers acting on behalf of Caminal said further treatment was likely to include surgery to his oesophagus. Leeds City Council and West Yorkshire Police have since launched a joint investigation and Caminal’s family is now taking legal advice.
A Leeds City Council spokesman told the Yorkshire Evening Post: “On the day of the incident officers from Leeds City Council’s Health and Safety team attended the scene with West Yorkshire Police, and a joint investigation is now in progress. “Once the investigation is concluded we will determine if any further action against the business is necessary. “Therefore it would be inappropriate to make further comment on the investigation at this time.”
The New Conservatory declined to comment due to the ongoing legal case.